The Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is embedded in our pop culture since the 1920s. It is famous worldwide and is an official kick start to the Holiday season. So if you choose to watch it on your TV like many others, this post is not exactly for you. But if you are one of those who will brave the crowds and actually see the parade in person, then you are at the right place!
Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is a treat to watch on Thanksgiving morning. This year it starts at 9 am from 77th Street and Central park West. You can see the full route here. So what tips do we have for you? Read on!
Picking a spot
- The Macy’s parade does not need a ticket and is free for public viewing except for a few restricted areas that are mentioned on the map clearly. Do take them into account.
- You should pick a spot in advance and reach there early as well, and by early we mean before 6:30 am. Macy’s suggests between 61st and 72nd on Central Park West. And since you will be seeing it towards the start, for you the parade will end early as well, saving you a lot of time.
- If you can manage a spot near a café or restaurant so that you could use the restroom and eat something as well. It works if you are watching in a group, otherwise if you leave you lose your spot.
Skipping the crowds
- If giant floats are what you come for, you can skip the parade all together and see them being inflated between 3 pm and 10 pm a day before at 77th and 81st Streets between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue.
- If it is feasible and affordable, you can book a hotel with a window view of the parade as well. But book in advance as whoever can, reserves the rooms.
Now since you will be arriving so early in the morning, you will be waiting for hours before the parade starts. It gets pretty chilly towards the end of November in NYC and sometimes rains as well. So here are our outfit suggestions as per body type.
- Wearing layers is a must for watching Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade.
- It would be beneficial to carry hats, caps, and even blankets to help you keep warm.
- Take an umbrella along, if rain is predicted will take a long way since the parade takes place be it rain or shine.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes that you are comfortable in as well, since the crowds are not the best place to put your best fashion foot forward. More functional than aesthetic remember that.
Thanksgiving Parade Outfit Idea for Apple
Thanksgiving Parade Outfit Idea for Hourglass
Thanksgiving Parade Outfit Idea for Inverted Triangle
Thanksgiving Parade Outfit Idea for Sporty Ruler
So that is our round-up for watching Macy’s Thanksgiving parade and also to our Thanksgiving series. But stick around as we have just started coming in the holiday spirit and you will see a lot of helpful posts as we move along. But for now, tell us -Are you going? Are you taking your kids to the parade or do you prefer to watch it on TV? Do tell us in the comments below!