Are you a curvy woman, and just for the record you can be curvy at any size. Yes, even curvy is a wide spectrum of women sizes. But being curvy are you mislead by the name skinny jeans? Let’s break the myth.
Skinny jeans are not meant for skinny women only. In fact, if you go talk to a super skinny girl she will tell you that it makes her feel even skinnier and hence it may not be her favorite pair. So clearly, skinny jeans were not aptly named we feel.
As for the question of a curvy woman of any size wearing them, we say it is very much possible with the right styling (just like any other garment right) So what should you keep in mind? How you should go about styling skinny jeans for your curvy body? We explain with pictures with some of the best dressed curvy women out there!
Color, Wash and fit of skinny Jeans
While talking about skinny jeans, the first thing that is relevant to be discussed is the kind of skinny jeans which will work for you the best.
- Look for jeans in dark colors with minimum or no whiskers. A little torn here or there works but crazy washes will not be for you in most cases.
- But, that said can you not wear color at all? You can! But when buying color stick to basic and make sure the hem is not too fitted at the ankles. Just taking care of this little detail will balance your proportion better.
- Also, skinny jeans does not mean tight jeans. It should fit well period. Too tight at the waist will give you a muffin top that no-one needs or wants. But if it fits well over your curves and loose at the waist, you can take it in with the help of a tailor.
Tops and Blouses with Skinny jeans
When wearing skinny jeans, the rule for the top is volume. But the amount of volume is really important. See some options below that work very well.
- Try wearing your skinny jeans with a regular-fit button down in cotton, denim, printed – sky is the limit. We love the necklace she is wearing along as well, in the picture.
- A sweatshirt! Some days we all feel very casual. That is the day when your skinny jeans and sweatshirt will work well together giving you good visual balance.
- An anti-fit cocktail blouse, because they with their texture or prints maintain enough visual interest to pull off the fit.
- You can also opt for blouses with an empire line, defining the bust but a fabric like georgette which flows over your curves well.
- A peplum is also a great choice with your skinny jeans. Visually it defines your waist but your bottom does not look overwhelming due to the flare.
Outerwear with Skinny jeans
So once we have set the rules straight for the tops or blouses, let’s talk about some outerwear that work very well.
- Try a long cardigan, it can be skimming over the curves
- A similar effect but with more drama can be achieved with a long draped shrug.
- If your blouse hits just below the widest part of your hips, it is long enough to be sported with a cropped jacket.
- Colorful blazers are lovely to have fun with your skinny jeans look. You can try printed and brocade ones as well.
Accessorizing with Skinny Jeans
While your bracelets and necklaces are great accessories to add to any outfit including the skinny jeans, but there are some accessories that change the look of skinny jeans in a flattering direction.
- Add a belt! Simple as that. The volume of your blouse may seem a little too much for your taste and may be weighing you down. Turn that feeling around with a belt.
- Adding boots also adds a unique visual interest to your skinny jeans outfit. If you are taller, with long legs wearing boots in a different color will be good for you. In case you are a curvy petite, either wear boots of the same color or similar.
Feeling more confident about wearing a pair of skinny jeans now even with a curvy body? Our work is done and we say more power to you 😀