Yesterday we started the journey to break the myth that fashion and style is a matter of art. We state it is based on some rules and is more like math. We covered how to combine colors in an outfit yesterday, and today we move on to individual body types.
First up, the hourglass! So you might have come across a lot of guides telling you what will work for your figure, but all those things are hard to keep in mind right? It is almost like cramming information for exams back in high school, which you don’t remember later. But if you knew the logic behind it… it would have stayed with you. So that is that, after knowing the logic you would be able to dress yourself up and know what looks good on you!
The naked truth – the body
If you are an hourglass –
- You are oh-so-very proportionate.
- Now seeing the beauty and standards that are imposed on us everyday, many hourglass women buy boxy clothing. That is not the solution for you, as that way you become a rectangle equal to the thickness of your widest parts – hips and bust.
- Instead, you should play up your waist and balanced proportions, no matter what size hourglass you are.
- Because of the hips being wide and ample thighs, you sometimes might find yourself looking shorter. Hence lengthening your body is also a good way to go.
Understanding the self
Now, that you know the geometry of your body and how you should work with it, it is time to know the garments that work for you and why.
- V necks – Skimming the torso and not adding more volume to it is one of the goals. Now as you can see, wearing a V neck divides the triangle such that the effect is trimming.
- Deep Scoop Neck, empire line and wrap styles which form a V work for you for the very same reason.
- Sweetheart and Bustier Necklines show off your sexy décolletage as well as sculpted shoulders.
- However if you had to wear a high neck, it is clear that you would be adding more on top of the widest part of your triangle and hence adding bulk to the bust. That is why it doesn’t work for you.
- Fit and flare dresses are your best friend as they define your waist and skim your hipline & thighs. That happens because the width of the hem of the dress is more than the widest parts. This adds a bigger shape below the waist, making your legs appear thinner, of course when the length is right.
- Belts for obvious reasons are your best friend. In terms of geometry you are highlighting the part of your body which has the least width and hence enhancing it.
- If you talk about pants, since from the widest hips to the narrowest ankles, the difference is a lot and a skinny fit will only emphasize it. That is the sole reason straight fits and slight boot-cuts tend to flatter you more.
- But, you may not want your waist to be the center of attention all the time right. In that case, a flowy blouse with some detailing and not necessarily a lot of volume at the bust ( if you are busty, you can be an hourglass at any size after all)
Your capsule wardrobe
Based on all the tips that we gave you above, we have even put together a curated wardrobe meant to flatter your body type completely. With these pieces, you can go to work, go to luncheons, parties and even relax on the weekend.
Make them work
So one of the garments we featured above for you is a Pencil Skirt. It could e a tricky one but is not off limits. The pencil emphasizes every bump and curve but there is a way to pull it off.
- Start from choosing the right hem. If the hem is too narrow it will emphasize the width at the hips even more. Just like jeans or pants, a straight fitting or slightly flared pencil skirt is best for you.
- You can pair the skirt up with a flowy blouse and a tailored blazer.
So hurray! You now know how to dress your beautiful curvy body and with logic. Now shopping will be a way lot easier. Cheers to that!